Applications for 2018 travel grants are now closed, and decisions have been announced.
Application Guidelines and Instructions
The Graduate Leadership Council (GLC) is pleased to announce a competition for travel grants funded by the GLC. Graduate students of all schools at American University (AU) may apply for this grant if they will be participating in a conference as an AU student. Grant recipients will be eligible to receive $500 for travel in support of the aforementioned activities.
Upon their return, grant recipients will be required to submit two things: 1) a short, 200 word summary of the trip that explains how the experience complemented their academic studies or professional development goals and any relevant highlights/challenges; 2) at least one relevant photo from their experience that may be featured on the GLC website. These materials should be submitted within one week of the recipients return to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You must be a graduate student at American University in good standing (3.0 minimum GPA). All activities must be directly related to your academic studies at AU or to relevant professional development goals. The grant cannot be used to fund a semester or short-term study abroad program. The grant cannot be used to fund a practicum.
- Student information form
- Statement of purpose- A detailed description of how you plan to use the proposed grant [200- 400 words]. Applicants will tailor their statement and provide specific information for the proposed opportunity.
- Itemized budget and an outline of your proposed travel itinerary
- Letter of recommendation (preferably from an AU faculty member; professional recommendations accepted if applicable to conference). The letter may be included in your application materials or submitted directly from your recommender to email@example.com.
- Unofficial AU transcript (if you have not yet completed a semester at AU, please include an official or unofficial transcript from a previous institution)
- Conference registration forms (applicable for conference attendance) or Paper abstract (applicable for conference presentation).
Application Process and Deadlines:
- Submit completed applications by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until February 23, 2018.
- Please submit your applications at least 30 days before your intended departure.
AU ID #:
Date of Birth:
Current cumulative GPA:
Expected graduation date:
Date(s) of travel:
Requested amount (up to $500):
Purpose of travel: □ Research □ Internship □ Conference □ Other: _______________
Are you a Foreign National? □ Yes □ No
AU Faculty Recommender
If applicable, please provide the name of your faculty supervisor. Otherwise, please provide the name and contact information of a faculty member at AU who could provide a reference for you, if necessary.
Name of supervisor/recommender:
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to receive funding?
Graduate students at all AU schools are eligible to apply for funding to defray the costs of attending conferences. Grant money cannot be used to fund travel to countries categorized as very high risk by the University. Please note that the security status of any country is subject to change; in the event that a grant recipient’s research destination becomes very high risk, s/he may be required to attend a high risk workshop prior to departure. Grant money cannot be used to pay tuition or to fund a Summer Abroad, Semester Abroad Program or any other formal study abroad programs. Grant money cannot be used to pay tuition or to fund a practicum.
When and how will the grant money be distributed?
The VP of Finance will contact you directly to guide you through the process.
How much money can I apply for?
Each student is eligible to receive a maximum of $500 for this grant during the Spring 2018 semester.
When will I be notified if I’ve been chosen as a grant recipient?
Grant recipients are typically notified within two to three weeks.
Any other questions? Please email email@example.com